Thursday, January 17, 2008

On the Calendar

So...I was putting things on my calendar (*the book*) today and came across this quote pre-printed there during the week of Abbey's birthday:

"life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing those you hold well" Josh Billings

Got me to thinkin' 'bout my growing up years and playing card games with my mom, dad, and brothers. My dad used to call this "run what you brung" during family games of Hearts. After I learned the game, I loved that round! Guess I'm just Type A enough to prefer the *knowingness* of building a strategy with a known quantity. I hated those previous hands...you know, where you swap 3 cards across or around the table? Well, OK, it's probably more to the point to say that I hated the part where I didn't know which 3 cards I was going to get--didn't mind getting rid of the 3 that were going to cause me problems! But my baby bro was a PRO at managing to give me almost EXACTLY what I thought I'd rid myself of. And the other brother, well, he was just good at messing you up no matter what. Dad and Mom are card sharks and always handed over a pile of whatever that made you scratch your head...UNTIL you figured out what they were doing. (tee hee hee)

I mean, think about it...who couldn't find three things in their lives they'd love to trade away?

Me.

No, really. I think I'd still rather work with what I've got, thanks.

Thank you, God for giving me the chance to "run what I've brung" in this life...and the opportunity to see Your plan revealed as those cards are played.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 NIV

No comments: