Sunday, July 31, 2011

Walkin' on the Wendy Side: MAC #20

EWV MAC #20
Greetings! Faithful List-Mom Lori over at Everything Wendy Vecchi threw Making Art Challenge #20 at us this week. If you are lucky enough to have Wendy Vecchi's Make Art, Studio 490 Style Book 1, take a peek at Wendy's creation on Page 12. This week, we were to use 4 squares as our background and at least one Wendy Stamp. Since I'm on a Basic Grey roll this week, figured I'd work that in, too. I've been itching to start working with my newest of the BG Collections...Out of Print. I just LOVE this paper.

I started with a black 5 x 7" folded card. I trimmed about 1/2 inch from just the front along the long edge. For the first layer, I cut the BG stripey paper so that the stripes would be horizontal. Embossed that layer in my Texture Boutique, used Tim Holtz' Tonic distresser on the edges, then ran a little Black Soot over it to bring out the pattern (that's the Xs you see). I also cut a 3/4 inch strip from the stripey paper and adhered that to the inside of the card, along the open edge. So...when the card is closed, you can see the vertical stripe along the right edge (can't see it in the photo..oh well!).

Since I'm a scrapper first, I decided that I just couldn't mount squares straight on that stripey background, so..I cut 4 squares of light pink paper (the reverse of one of the patterns on my squares). Distressed each one with a little roughing up and more Black Soot ink. After I stuck those down, I used a script stamp across the pink tiled background for another layer.

Each of my other squares is a different bit of BG Out of Print paper. A couple of different tries with different background stamps turned into several "well, THAT didn't work" moments. Ended up leaving the squares 'as is' with just a wee bit of Black Soot on the edgest...and just a smidge of Spun Sugar & Worn Lipstick. Each square is embellished with a variety of flowers, brads, bling & ribbon from my stash. The sentiment is a Wendy stamp, stamped in black archival and embossed in clear. That last square, I popped up on foam dots and tried to make it look like it's hanging from the square above.

So there it is...MAC #20.  Now, y'all oughtta play along!  Hope on over to the Yahoo! EWV Group, check out the fun and then..GO MAKE ART!! Thanks for stopping by!  Please do leave me a comment...would love to know what you think!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lori said...

Woohooo! This is fantastic Angie! So awesome with the BG paper, love that stuff. lol. Thanks so much for joining the MAC's, I really appreciate your efforts and creativity you bring to the challenges!

Margaret Kane Ward said...

Lovely card. Great use of layers and your BG paper. Just gotta love that paper, don't we??? Thanks for the inspiration. I didn't get a card made last week. I think I gotta do one now!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful, Angie! Love the added stripes along the bottom and the tiny brads/flowers... you've got a whole lot going on in addition to the basic square challenge. And your squares themselves are gorgeous - love all the add-ons and the hanging idea is a super touch.