Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Everything Wendy Vecchi...MAC #22

This week's challenge from Lori at Everything Wendy Vecchi is from Wendy's first book, page 15.  We needed to make a card using two similar border strips and a scalloped edge.  Use of at least one Wendy Studio 490 stamp goes without saying, of course!  I learned three valuable "whoops!" type lessons with this project...

Keeping with my plan to learn some new techniques and try working with new materials this week, I made my base from a piece of grunge paper, something I'm still trying to figure out. I used Peeled Paint distress stain to ink it up...I really wanted a nice brightish color.    (Sidenote...cannot seem to get a decent picture of the colors here...in real life, the greens are nice and bright, offset by nice light, medium & dark blues. *sigh*) Once it was dry, I spritzed it with a little Faded Jeans. Rounded the corners on the left edge; used a Martha Stewart scallop punch to create the required scallop edge.  Okay, not so creative, but well...

EWV MAC #22
I used two coordinating pieces of Making Memories paper--a light blue gingham print and a bright green stripe--for my borders.  Stamped 'em with Wendy's polka dot and splatter background stamps in CTMH Outdoor Denim. On the blue gingham, I topped it off with some Pumice Stone just for fun.  'tude Lady was stamped on grunge, inked in Outdoor Denim and embossed with clear.  Lesson Learned #1...If you are going to cut out your image, do it BEFORE you emboss!!

Lesson Learned #2...heating grunge makes it curl, which makes it even weirder when you've already attached regular paper that doesn't curl.  Harder to flatten, too.  How did I learn this?  I stamped & embossed Wendy's sentiment (and my little twist--there's a question mark under the flower petals) AFTER I had the border strips attached.  Also added part of another Wendy sentiment in Peeled Paint along the right edge..."Attitude.:

The crown to go with the royal sentiment is a bit of grunge board from Tim Holtz's random die cut package.  First attempt, I inked it in Outdoor Denim, then embossed with both clear and diamond sparkle powders.  Lesson Learned #3...apparently, you CAN over emboss.  You'll note that the crown now bears a coating of Stickles in Tiara. ;-) 

Rayon seam binding dipped in Peeled Paint and Faded Denim stains makes my card a tag.  Flowers & buttons are from my stash.  Needed a wee bit "more" so my Peeled Paint distress stickles came in handy for some dotty fun.

Join the fun yourself and check out the talented contributions of fellow Wendy Vecchians by clicking here.

PS:  Lesson Learned that I Should Have Already Known...when used to cover up embossing mistakes, stickles take a REALLY long time to dry!!  But I have a nice sparkley thumb now...

2 comments:

Marjie Kemper said...

Valuable lessons and a fun card all mixed into one! Love those vertical strips and your add-on "or was it" - clever! As for the pic, looks like you are shooting indoors and with a flash. Give it a try outside without a flash and not in direct sunlight. Have a great day!

Lori said...

Love it Angie! So creative, and I can tell you really like that Queen image..lol! Thanks so much for joining the MAC!