Monday, September 19, 2011

Everything Wendy Vecchi: Making Art Challenge #26

This week Making Art Challenge #26 rolled around on Everything Wendy Vecchi...and List Hostess extraordinaire Lori challenged us to create a Studio 490esque project based on Page 27 of Wendy Vecchi's Making Art Book #2.  Rough guidelines were to use polka dots, a face and, of course, at least one Studio 490 stamp.

Inspiration struck when I received my package from the wonderful gals over at Absolutely Everything which included a sampler package of Wendy's Clearly For Art.  I decided to try to play with it a bit for this project...learned a few things!  (Um...this stuff gets hot.  So does the air coming out of a heating tool.  So do the tweezers or clamps you use to hold your Clearly for Art embellishment.)  I have a lot more to learn about this fun medium...in the meantime, I like the flowers. ;-)  Also tried a different--for me--color palette than my usual blues & greens, and I think I'll have to try these colors more often.


EVW MAC #26: Face & Polka Dots
Lacking possession of a Wendy face, I had to go a different route.  Luckily, I benefited from a recent stash sale by Susan K, a  fellow Wendy Vecchian.  I started with a Studio 490 Art Parts ATC, thinking I would crop the face quite a bit, but when I saw the whole face together, I just had to leave her the way she was. ;-)  (She did lose a bit of her mouth...but the eyes were the key feature here anyway!)  The lady on the base is stamped on a background of Dried Marigold, Antique Paper, Scattered Straw and a wee bit of Pumice Stone.  Script background is from Hero Arts stamped in Pumice Stone.  My gal is stamped in Frayed Burlap.

Wings are more Art Parts, stained with Fired Brick.  I softened the color a wee bit with some Worn Lipstick Distress Ink on top. To make the flowers, I used a couple of different Wendy stamps on Clearly for Art and grunge paper.  Orange floral bits are punched from the same background as the framed sentiment.  The grunge paper flower is stained & inked with Fired Brick & Dried Marigold. 

Sentiment is Wendy's, stamped in black archival.  I wanted to punch up the color a little--was hoping to pull more of the orange tone from the base--so the sentiment background is Wild Honey, Dried Marigold and Scattered Straw.  Frame is another Art Part, stained in multiple layers of Dried Marigold.  Polka Dots on sentiment background are in Frayed Burlap; on the frame in Vintage Photo.  I put a layer of Rock Candy Distress Stickles on the grunge flower, wings and the small frame to give 'em some sparkle.

Artful charm is from Tim Holtz.  Random other stuff from my stash.

Thoughts?  Tips?  Suggestions?  For TRUE inspiration, join the fun with the talented ladies at Everything Wendy Vecchi ...Challenge #27 should kick off on Wednesday morning!

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

very nice!!

Lori said...

Yeah! So glad you're back in the challenges! This is a WONDERFUL piece! Love that face image, and your embellishments are too cool! Thanks for joining the MAC!

Marjie Kemper said...

Wow, Angie, this is Da Bomb! I'm so loving your layered flowers, wings, metal, etc. plus that gorgeous face with the script running through. AWESOME.

One tip on burned fingers is to use a long wooden skewer to hold the item down... metal tweezers or clamps = No No!

Art By Wanda said...

Wonderful piece!!!

2amscrapper said...

This is beautiful!